Windows PIN code feature, an extension of Windows Hello, allows you to log into the device using a pin. Though it may seem the same as Windows Password, it is different in more than one way. It is merely there for an extra security feature, adding a layer of protection that is only specific to your device. However, users report Error 0x80280013 with Windows PIN feature, and here is how to fix it.
Last updated on October 10th, 2022 at 02:24 pm
What is Error Code 0x80280013?
Recently, users reported an issue with their PIN code not working properly. The error pops up as soon as they type in their PIN, saying, “Something went wrong, and your PIN isn’t available.”
First, it could be that the file location for PIN and its information is corrupted at the root, the NGC folder. Other than that, it could be that a problem occurred during the system’s boot-up. In this case, you’ll need to rectify the issue via boot utilities. Besides that, it could very well be that your error is being caused by some corruption in the system, causing your system to halt and perform weirdly.
Fix 1: Login Via Password
As mentioned earlier, the password is an alternative method of logging into your device. So, it is convenient to use the feature and then fix the Windows PIN Error 0x80280013 in the settings. Follow the steps below to get your PIN issue fixed:
- Change the login option to Password and type in your password.
- Once logged in, head over to Windows Settings through the Start Menu.
- Locate Accounts on the left side of the window.
- Find the ‘Sign in Options’ setting in the right window and open it.
- Click on the drop-down menu and select the Windows Hello setting.
- Click on Remove PIN.
- Once removed, set up a new PIN.
Once done, boot up your computer and see if you can log in via the new PIN code or not.
Fix 2: Use System Restore Feature
If the above solution does not work, one thing to do is restore your Windows to a stable state to fix Windows PIN Error 0x80280013. This is similar to loading back to a saved game before a mess-up.
The System Restore Utility is a feature that Windows provides its users to handle problems that seem to be irreversible. This utility is responsible for storing snapshots of your device and all its statuses periodically. Follow the steps below to revert your system back to the most recent stable state:
- First of all, shut down your computer.
- After a while, turn it back On.
- Hold the power button for 5 seconds during the bootup phase when the screen is in loading mode.
- This will shut off the computer again.
- When you do this three times consecutively, the system will boot up in safe mode.
- A window will appear; select Troubleshoot setting.
- Head over to the Advanced Settings.
- In the list, look for the System Restore setting and open it.
- A list of the system’s previous states will appear with the date and time.
- Select the latest system snapshot that didn’t have the PIN code issue.
Once done, see if the PIN error has been resolved or not.
That is all for our fixes for Windows PIN Error 0x80280013. If you are facing errors and issues with other PC games or your PC, then also see our hub for commonly occurring PC errors and their fixes.