In the vast cosmos of Starfield, character customization is paramount. One of the most intriguing choices players face is the Alien DNA trait. This guide will provide an in-depth look at this trait, its pros and cons, and the process to remove it.
The Alien DNA trait stems from a controversial experiment that melded alien and human DNA. Those who volunteer for this procedure begin their journey with augmented health and oxygen levels. However, this enhancement comes at a cost: healing and food items become less effective.
Benefits of the Alien DNA Trait
- Enhanced Health: Players with the Alien DNA trait start with a health pool that’s approximately 50 points higher than those without it. As players level up, they gain 20 health points per level, making the trait’s advantage less pronounced over time.
- Boosted Oxygen Levels: This trait allows players to sprint and explore planets for more extended periods without succumbing to CO2 effects.
Drawbacks of the Alien DNA Trait
- Diminished Healing: While Med Packs typically restore up to four health points per second, this rate drops to around three points per second for those with the Alien DNA trait. As a result, players might find themselves consuming more Med Packs to fully replenish their health.
- Food Inefficiency: Just like healing items, food’s restorative properties are also reduced, making survival slightly more challenging.
Is the Alien DNA Trait Worth It?
The Alien DNA trait’s value largely hinges on individual playstyles. For those who don’t heavily rely on healing, the bonuses to health and endurance might outweigh the downsides. However, as the game progresses and players encounter formidable foes, the reduced healing effectiveness could become a significant hindrance. Investing in the Medical and Wellness skill trees can help mitigate these drawbacks.
Removing the Alien DNA Trait
If players decide that the Alien DNA trait isn’t for them, they can opt to remove it. To do so:
- Visit any medical professional within the Settled Systems.
- Head to the Reliant Medical office in New Atlantis.
- Engage in a conversation with the chief doctor to initiate the removal process.
- The procedure comes with a price tag of 10,000 Credits.
Compatibility with Other Traits
One of the Alien DNA trait’s notable features is its compatibility. Unlike some traits that clash with others, the Alien DNA trait can be combined with any other trait, offering players flexibility in their character builds.