Risk of Rain 2 has 10 main characters to play at the moment. Each character is different in its own way. One might excel in speed while the other might excel in strength. The developers will add more main characters to the game soon and we wish they are entertaining as these. This guide will include all the details on how to unlock all main characters in Risk of Rain 2. Each character unlocks works differently in Risk of Rain 2.
Risk of Rain 2 character unlocks allow you to expand your roster and bring unique flavors to your gameplay experience. Right now we have two major expansions for Risk of Rain 2 and each added new survivors to the mix. The amount of Risk of Rain 2 character unlock has increased and it will further go up when the game leaves early access in August 2020. We are now up to 9 playable characters in Risk of Rain 2, the 10th character will release next month.
On this page:
All Risk of Rain 2 Character Unlocks
Each of the 8 playable characters of Risk of Rain 2 is unlocked in a different way. Some character unlocks changed after the release of the Skill 2.0 update of Risk of Rain 2. Below are all playable Risk of Rain 2 Character unlocks.
The Captain is a brand new character for the Risk of Rain 2. The Captain is a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield with high utility damage and rifle combo. He also uses a shotgun-rifle combo that narrows the spread and stuns enemies. The Captain can be unlocked in Risk of Rain 2 after the release of August update. We will update the guide as soon as the update releases.
This is the default character that you start with. You just have to start the game and you will start playing him. Commando is one of the high damage characters. He specializes mostly in close range with good damage but he can be used efficiently in long-range too. To play him effectively in long-range you need to fire in bursts to maintain accuracy and damage.
- Double Tap: This is a primary skill that has 2x 1 Proc Coefficient. Double Tap lets Commando shoot twice with 2×90 damage.
- Phase Round: This is a secondary skill with a 3s cooldown and 1 Proc Coefficient. Shoot a piercing round that deals 230% damage.
- Phase Blast: This is a secondary ability with a 3s cooldown and Proc Coefficient value of 8×0.5. Shoot two close-range blasts for 8×200% damage.
- Tactical Dive: It is a utility with a 4s cooldown. Use Tactical Drive to roll for a short distance.
- Suppressive Fire: Commdando’s special is called Suppressive Fire. It has a 9s cooldown. Fire rapidly and stun enemies with 100% damage per shot. Fires more shots based on attack speed, with default six.
- Frag Grenade: This is the second special for Commando and it has a 5s cooldown. The grenade does 175% damage. Deals 4x damage in the center of the explosion. Can hold up to 2.
Unlocking MUL-T is quite simple actually. You just have to play and finish the first level of the game around 5 times and he will unlock to be played. MUL-T can do a decent amount of damage and can be good in both close range and long-range. For close range it has it’s nail gun which destroys bosses and enemies in close range. For long-range MUL-T has it’s sniper rifle which can deal with enemies at a distance and airborne enemies.
- Multifunctional: This is a passive skill that lets MUL-T hold two equipment at once. Players can swap the active equipment using Retool.
- Auto-Nailgun: This is a primary skill with a 0.4 Proc Coefficient. Use this skill to fire nails rapidly for 60% damage. Shoot 6 nails initially.
- Rebar Puncher: This is a primary skill with 1 Proc Coefficient value. Shoot piercing rebar that does 600% damage.
- Scrap Launcher: Another primary skill with 1.5s cooldown and 1 Proc Coefficient value. Shoot an active hunk that explodes for 360% damage. It can hold up to 4 hunks.
Unlocking Huntress is easy as well. Just play and finish the first 3 levels without dying. Huntress is a complex character who excels in the long-range. She has very high AoE but her cooldowns on her skills are very high. Her skills can be quite useful in destroying crowds of enemies quickly.
- Strafe: This is a primary skill that lets you fire a homing arrow that does 150% damage. You can use this while sprinting.
- Laser Glaive: This is a secondary skill for Huntress. It has a 7s cooldown. Throw a seeking glaive that bounces up to 6 times for 250% damage. Damage increases by 10% per bounce.
- Blink: This is a utility with a 7s cooldown which lets Huntress disappear and teleport forward.
- Phase Blink: It is a utility that has a 2s charge. Disappear and teleport a short distance. Can store up to 3 charges. Can be used while sprinting.
- Arrow Rain: This is a Huntress Special with a 17s cooldown. Teleport into the sky. Target an area to rain down arrows, slowing all enemies and dealing 225% damage per second.
- Ballista: This is the second special for Huntress. It also has a 17s cooldown. Teleport backward into the sky. Fire up to 3 energy bolts, dealing 3×900% damage.
To unlock Engineer you will just to progress through the game and complete 30 levels. The unique character is most definitely Engineer. He doesn’t do much on his own but relies on his turrets to do the job for him. He can make use of turrets, mines, and shields to protect him and deal with enemies quickly and efficiently. His cooldowns might be a lot but if you can use your shields to the max potential you might not need for the turrets to go down and wait for the cooldown.
- Bouncing Grenades: Charge up to 8 grenades that deal 100% damage each.
- Pressure Mines: Place a two-stage mine that deals 300% damage when an enemy walks nearby, or 900% damage if allowed to fully arm. Can place up to 4.
- Spider Mines: Place a robot mine that deals 600% damage when an enemy walks nearby. Can place up to 4.
- Bubble Shield: Place an impenetrable shield that blocks all incoming damage.
To unlock Artificer you will have to go to New Alter in the teleporter event and use one Lunar Coin to open a portal. After that, you will have to pay 10 Lunar Coin in the Lunar Shop there. Artificer is by far the most damage output character. Her skills can do high damage but although her damage and health might be good her mobility ain’t. Using survivability and mobility items on her is a must.
- ENV Suit: This is a passive skill for Artificer. Holding the Jump key causes the Artificer to hover in the air.
- Flame Bolt: Fire a bolt for 220% damage that ignites enemies. Hold up to 4.
- Plasma Bolt: Fire a bolt for 220% damage that explodes in a small area. Hold up to 4.
- Charged Nano-Bomb: Charge up a nano-bomb that deals 400%-1200% damage and stuns all enemies.
Mercenary isn’t that hard to unlock. After completing the last map you will get a message and you can now go through a Celestial portal. Go to the end to arrive at an Obelisk. Sacrifice yourself here to unlock Mercenary. Mercenary is the only melee character in the game and he is very fun to play. He can destroy enemies in close range and has a double jump and dashes. He can use the dashes to approach airborne enemies and deal with them too. He can use his dashes to run away or get to places that couldn’t go earlier.
- Cybernetic Enhancements: The Mercenary can jump twice.
- Laser Sword: Slice in front for 130% damage. Every 3rd hit strikes in a greater area for 300% damage.
- Whirlwind: Quickly slice horizontally twice, dealing 2×200% damage. If airborne, slice vertically instead.
- Rising Thunder: Unleash a slicing uppercut, dealing 450% damage and sending you airborne.
- Blinding Assault: Dash forward, stunning enemies for 200% damage. If you hit an enemy, you can dash again, up to 3 total.
- Eviscerate: Target the nearest enemy, attacking them for 110% damage repeatedly. You cannot be hit for the duration.
- Slicing Winds: Fire a wind of blades that attack up to 3 enemies for 8×100% damage.
REX is a half-robot/half-plant character in the Risk of Rain 2. REX character unlock works the same as other characters. REX unlock is tied to his in-game challenge. You need to complete the new “Power Plant.” Take the Fuel Array item from the pod to complete the “Power Plant.”
- Natural Toxins: Certain attacks Weaken, reducing movement speed, armor, and damage.
- Inject: Fires 3 syringes for 3×80% damage. The last syringe Weakens and heals for 60% of damage dealt.
- Seed Barrage: Costs 15% of your current health. Launch a mortar into the sky for 450% damage.
- Drill: Launch a series of seed bullets into the sky, raining down for 450% damage per second.
- Disperse: Fire a sonic boom that pushes and Weakens all enemies hit. Pushes you backward if you are airborne.
- Bramble Volley: Costs 20% of your current health. Fire thorns that push and damages all enemies hit for 550% damage. Pushes you backward if you are airborne. Heals for every target hit.
- Tangling Growth: Costs 25% of your current health. Fires a flower that roots for 200% damage. Heals for every target hit.
To unlock loader in Risk of Rain 2 you need to complete the “Guardian Offline” challenge. The first step is to reach the Siren’s Call map that was added with Skills 2.0 update. Once you unlock Loader you will have access to his skills and abilities.
- Scrap Barrier: The Loader is immune to fall damage. Striking enemies with the Loader’s gauntlets grant a temporary barrier.
- Knuckleboom: Swing at nearby enemies for 320% damage.
- Grapple Fist: Fire your gauntlet forward, pulling you to the target.
- Spiked Fist: Fire your gauntlet forward, dealing 320% damage and stunning.
- Charged Gauntlet: Charge up a massive punch for 600%-2700% damage that sends you flying forward. Deals significantly more damage the faster you are moving.
- Thunder Gauntlet: Charge up a single punch for 2100% damage that also shocks all enemies in a cone for 1000% damage. Deals significantly more damage the faster you are moving.
- M551 Pylon: Throw a floating pylon that zaps up to 6 nearby enemies for 100% damage. Can be grappled.
One of the playable characters in Risk of Rain 2 is Acrid. To unlock Acrid you need to go under the Bazaar in the Bazaar Between Time. There is a hidden cave that will take you to a portal which then leads to the Void Fields. Beat the 9 challenge cells in this area to complete Acrid character unlock in Risk of Rain 2.
- Poison: Certain attacks Poison enemies, dealing damage equal to 10% of their maximum health over time. Poison cannot kill enemies.
- Vicious Wounds: Maul an enemy for 200% damage. Every 3rd hit deals 400% damage.
- Neurotoxin: Spit toxic bile for 240% damage that poisons enemies hit.
- Caustic Leap: Leap into the air, dealing 320% damage, stunning, and poisoning enemies on impact. Leaves a pool of acid that deals 25% damage.
- Frenzied Leap: Leap into the air, dealing 550% damage and stunning enemies on impact. Reduce the cooldown by 2s for every enemy hit.
- Epidemic: Release a deadly poison that deals 100% damage and poisons enemies. The disease continually spreads to up to 20 targets.
For now, these were all of the character unlocks in the Risk of Rain 2.