Playground Games is creating is very own RPG game, which is rumored to be Fable Legends. The studio has been on a hiring spree for the past year or so and now recently, it hired former Ubisoft Technical Artist Ross Garfoot. Ross Garfoot is worked for Ubisoft for a little over a year and interestingly, prior to Ubisoft, he worked with Playground Games for 7 years as Technical Artist.
His role at Playground Games before leaving for Ubisoft consisted of the following:
- Shader feature development and documentation.
- Automated pipeline processes.
- Authoring and maintaining DCC toolsets.
- Content optimization and profiling.
- Mentoring junior TAs.
- Artist support.
- Research and development.
Now that Garfoot is back at Playground Games for the RPG, he is most likely to take up the same responsibilities. As for the RPG itself, what do we know so far?
- Playground Games RPG Release Date – There is no release date at the time but it is safe to say that we won’t see the title anytime soon. The game is still in the early stage of development.
- Platforms – It is unlikely that the game will release on the base Xbox One console. Expect Playground Games RPG to come to Xbox One X and the new Xbox Series X aka “Xbox.”
- Is It Fable 4? – Well, no one can say it for sure right now but there are reports circulating about the possibility of its being Fable 4. Microsoft canceled Fable Legends a couple of years ago and as soon Playground Games started working its own RPG, rumors went around to spark the discussion around Fable 4.
Fable 4 or not, this new RPG is a massive project from Playground. The development team consists of some of the best talents from across the industry. An interesting tidbit here is that Microsoft expressed its desire to create an RPG like Horizon Zero Dawn which would mean this could be a new IP. But we’ll have to wait and see how things go.