Modern Warfare 2 was released with great reception from players. Unfortunately, some users have problems with Modern Warfare 2, and one of the most common errors is the error 0x0000005. If you’re getting this error, don’t worry – you’re not alone. This article will show you how to fix the 0x0000005 error in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on Windows 10 and 11.
Fix #1 – Scan and Repair
If you’re getting the 0x0000005 error in Modern Warfare 2, it’s probably because your game is corrupt. Luckily, there’s an easy way to fix that. Just run a repair scan, and the problem should be fixed.
Open the Battle.net app > select “Modern Warfare 2” > click on the gear icon next to “Modern Warfare 2” and select Scan and Repair. Wait for the repair process to finish, and then try launching “Modern Warfare 2” again.
Fix #2 – Update Your Drivers:
Outdated or corrupted drivers can also cause the 0x0000005 error in Modern Warfare 2. So, if the repair scan didn’t work, updating your drivers is a good next step. There are two ways to update your drivers: manually and automatically.
Updating drivers manually is time-consuming and requires some technical knowledge. Visit the website of your GPU manufacturer. Download the latest driver for your GPU model.
Double-click on the downloaded file and follow the instructions to install the driver. Restart your computer and try launching “Modern Warfare 2” again.
Tip: If you’re having driver issues, we recommend DriverFix to scan and update all your outdated drivers in just one click. DriverFix solves your issues faster; it is easy to use and lets you know whenever a driver update is available. Download updates from popular brands, 100% malware and virus free.
Fix #3 GeForce Experience’s Optimization
If you’re using an NVIDIA GPU, another way to update your drivers is GeForce Experience or use optimized settings. GeForce Experience is a free online available program you can easily download.
- Go To NVIDIA System Tray By clicking on it.
- Choose the GeForce Experience Option
- Select Modern Warfare 2
- Select Optimzie, and it’ll change the settings depending on your PC
Launch MW2, and the error 0x0000005 will be fixed.
Fix #4 Renaming Warfare Folder
If you’ve tried all of the solutions above and you’re still getting the 0x0000005 error, there’s one last thing you can try. Some users have reported that renaming their “Warfare” folder fixed the 0x0000005 error for them.
- Go to your “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2” installation folder.
- Rename the “Warfare” folder to something else (for example, “Warfare2”).
- Launch “Modern Warfare 2” again and see if the error is fixed.
Fix #5 Disabling On-Demand Texture:
This solution has helped some users fix the 0x0000005 error in “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2”.
- Run the Game and Go To “Game settings.”
- Go To “Graphics Tab.”
- Disable “On-demand Texture Streaming”
- Restart the Game.
Fix #6 Disable NVIDIA Highlights:
If you’re using an NVIDIA GPU, try disabling NVIDIA Highlights. Some users have reported that this fixed the 0x0000005 error in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for them.
- Open the NVIDIA GeForce Experience.
- Click on the “Games” tab and find “Modern Warfare 2” in the list of games.
- Click on the “Game Setting.”
- Find “Highlights” in the list of options and set Capture to “Off.”
- Restart your computer and try launching “Modern Warfare 2” again.
Fix #7 Reinstalling Battle.net Client:
If you’re still getting the 0x0000005 error, the last thing you can try is reinstalling the Battle.net client.
- Uninstall the Battle.net client from your computer.
- Download the latest version of the Battle.net client from the official website.
- Install the Battle.net client and launch “Modern Warfare 2” again.
Fix #8 Close ASUS GameFirst VI:
If you’re using an ASUS motherboard, there’s a chance that the ASUS GameFirst VI program causes the 0x0000005 error.
- Open The Task Manage
- Find the “Asus GameFirst VI” from the list.
- Right Click on it and End the Program
- From the “Startup tab,” you can disable it.
- Restart the Game.
Fix #9 Reinstall The “Call of Duty: Warfare 2”
If you’ve tried all of the solutions above and you’re still getting the 0x0000005 error, the last thing you can try is reinstalling “Modern Warfare 2”.
- Uninstall “Modern Warfare 2” from your computer.
- Download the latest version of “Modern Warfare 2” from the official website.
- Install “Modern Warfare 2” and launch it again.
That is all for our fixes for Modern Warfare 2 Error 0x0000005. If you are facing errors and issues with other PC games or your PC, then also see our hub for commonly occurring PC errors and their fixes.