Lords Of the Fallen is the remake of the 2014 original and the latest game in a long line of Soulds-like video games. However, Lords Of The Fallen 2023 distinguishes itself from others with its dual-world gameplay design. The game launched with good reviews from players but, suffered severe performance and technical issues. Aside from that, PC users are also experiencing in-game crashes and crashing at startup issues with the game. In this Lords Of The Fallen 2023 guide, I will list fixes that will help PC users fix crashes.
Lords Of The Fallen Crash Fixes That’ll Help
There are multiple reasons why the Lords OF the Fallen remake is crashing in-game or at startup like not having enough virtual memory or paging file, corrupt DirectX cache, overclocked GPU, in-game overlays, and more. The following are the fixes that will help PC users fix the crashes in Lords Of The Fallen.
Tweak Engine.ini File
Lords Of The Fallen runs on Unreal Engine 5, which means there are some tweaks that can be done by PC users to change certain elements to their liking. To fix the Lords Of The Fallen 2023 in-game crash, you need to tweak the Engine.ini file. Navigate to C:\Users\ahmad\AppData\Local\LOTF2\Saved\Config\Windows and open the Engine.ini file in Notepad. Add the following lines in the Engine.ini file and save changes. Play the Lords Of The Fallen remake and it won’t crash anymore.
Disable In-game Overlays
Almost every gaming-related software on PC has an in-game overlay that allows PC users to access their features without minimizing the game. These overlays often interfere with the game and cause it to crash to the desktop. If you have enabled in-game overlays like Steam overlay, Discord overlay, or GeForce Experience overlay, it is the reason why Lords Of The Fallen is crashing to the desktop. Disable all in-game overlays and the game will stop crashing.
To disable Discord overlay, open User settings > Game Overlay > turn off the “Enable In-game overlay” options.
If Steam overlay is enabled, open Steam > settings > In-game > uncheck “Enable the Steam overlay while in-game.”
To disable GeForce Experience Overlay, open GeForce Experience> click on the Gear icon next to your username > General > turn off the “IN-GAME Overlay” options.
Delete DirectX Shader Cache
DirectX shader cache is important for most video games as it is necessary for game rendering and also improves performance to some extent. The reason why Lords Of The Fallen is crashing is that your DirectX shader cache is damaged or for some reason is in conflict with the game. Delete the DirectX shader cache will fix the Lords Of The Fallen 2023 crashes. Don’t worry it won’t impact game performance as a new cache will be created when you launch the game.
- Open Disk Cleanup utility
- Select C drive
- Check “DirectX shader cache” and press OK
- Play Lords Of The Fallen and it won’t crash anymore
Enable Debug Mode, Disable GPU Overclock
PC users often overclock their hardware to squeeze more performance but it can make gaming an unstable experience as games start to crash. If you have overclocked your GPU or CPU, it is why Lords Of The Fallen remake is crashing. Revert the GPU back to its default GPU and memory clocks and it’ll fix the in-game crashes.
If you haven’t overclocked your GPU, most GPUs from third-party AIB partners like Zotac have higher GPU and memory clocks. This also results in games crashing and the reason why Lords Of The Fallen is crashing. Enable the Debug Mode to force the GPU to use Nvidia’s reference clocks and Lords Of The Fallen will stop crashing. Open the Nvidia Control Panel > Help > Debug Mode.
Increase Virtual Memory
Virtual Memory or Paging file helps with Windows operations and is important for some video games. Not having enough Paging File or Virtual Memory is a common reason for Unreal Engine 5 titles to crash and Lords Of The Fallen 2023 is running UE5. To fix the Lords Of The Fallen crash at startup issue, set a custom Paging File.
- Open Windows Settings go to About > Advanced system settings
- Click “Settings” under the Advanced tab
- Click “Change” under Virtual Memory
- Uncheck “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives”
- Select a drive that has available space
- Check “Custom Size”, and input the Initial size and Maximum size in MBs
- Press OK and restart your PC
- Launch Mortal Kombat 1 and the Out of video memory error is fixed
Note: You have to set the Initial size and Maximum size values yourself depending on your RAM size. Virtual memory values have to be between 1.5x and 3x of your installed RAM size. If you have 2GB of RAM, you can set a maximum of 6,144 MB. Calculate your value in MB and input it in both Initial size and Maximum size.
Disable Fullscreen Optimizations
Fullscreen optimizations are enabled by default for every program and game installed. It is a known reason for games to crash at startup. Disable the Fullscreen Optimizations and Lords Of The Fallen Remake will stop crashing.
- Right-click Lords Of The Fallen in Steam library > Manage > Browse local files
- A new window will open containing game files
- Right-click the game executable and select Properties
- Go to the Compatibility tab, check “Disable Fullscreen optimizations” and apply the changes
- Play Lords Of The Fallen and it won’t crash at startup
Increase Shader Cache Size
The default Shader cache size is another reason why Lords Of The Fallen 2023 is crashing at startup. The game is running on UE5 which relies heavily on shaders. Increase the Shader cache size and the game will stop crashing at launch.
- Open the Nvidia Control Panel
- Go to Manage 3D Settings > Global Settings
- Scroll down to Shader Cache
- Select 10 GB and apply the changes.
Install/Repiar Visual C++ Redistributables
You might be missing or have corrupt Visual C++ Redistributable files. Installing or repairing the Visual C++ Redistributables will fix the Lords Of The Fallen crashing at startup issue.
- Open the Steam library and type ‘Steamworks’ in the search bar
- Right-click “Steamworks Common Redistributables” > Manage > Browse local files
- A new Explorer window will open
- Go to _CommonRedist\vcredist
- There are folders with names in years starting from 2010
- Open each folder and run the VC_redis, both x64 and x86 versions
- Install or repair Visual C++ Redistributables and restart your PC
- Play Lords Of The Fallen and the game won’t crash at launch
Run The Game In Compatibility Mode
Running Lords Of The Fallen in compatibility mode is another fix for its crash at startup issue.
- Right-click Lords Of The Fallen in Stam library > Manage > Browse local files
- A new window will open containing game files
- Right-click the executable and select Properties
- Go to the Compatibility tab
- Check “Run this program in compatibility mode for” and select Windows 7 from the drop-down menu
- Play Lords Of The Fallen 2023 and it won’t crash
Your third-party anti-virus software is blocking the game’s executable or EAsy Anti-cheat which is the reason why Lords Of The Fallen remake is crashing at startup. DeepGuard is known for falsely detecting game executables or Easy Anti-Cheat, which causes games to not launch. Either disable real-time protection or exclude the game folder from the anti-virus, I recommend the latter. After that, very game files, play Lords Of The Fallen and it won’t crash at launch.
That is all for our Lords Of The Fallen fixes for in-game crashes and crashes at startup. If you are facing errors and issues with other PC games or your PC, then also see our hub for commonly occurring PC errors and their fixes.