Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader provides ample character customization options, adding a personal touch with custom portraits can make the experience a lot of personal.
Custom Portrait Sizes And How To Install
To start, you need to obtain or create custom portraits for Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader. You have two options: use existing Warhammer imagery or create your own. If you choose to design your own, remember that artistic flair can add a unique element to your gaming experience. For a seamless integration, your portraits need to be in PNG format and of three specific sizes:
- Full-length: 692 x 1024 pixels
- Medium: 330 x 432 pixels
- Small: 185 x 242 pixels
The necessity for these sizes ensures that your portraits display correctly in the game’s different interfaces.
An essential step in this process is naming your files. For instance, name your largest portrait file
Fulllength.png. Note the importance of naming conventions; a file named
Full-Length.png will not be recognized by the game. While you can technically bypass creating medium and small portraits, using only the full-length image may result in awkwardly resized images in-game. Hence, it’s recommended to prepare all three sizes for optimal display.
Next, navigate to Rogue Trader’s Portraits folder on your computer. This can typically be found at the following file path:
Local Disk C: -> Users -> [Your PC Name] -> AppData -> LocalLow -> Owlcat Games -> Warhammer 40000 Rogue Trader -> Portraits
In the Portraits folder, create a new folder named
0001 and place all three of your portrait images inside. For adding additional portraits, repeat the process with subsequent folders named
How To Equip Custom Portraits
Once your custom portraits are correctly set up, launch Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader and begin a new character creation. In the character creation screen, navigate to the Appearance section, then choose
Portraits followed by
Custom. Your newly added portrait should be visible here. Select it to apply it to your character.
After selection, your custom portraits for all three sizes should appear in-game. If they don’t, recheck the steps above to ensure you’ve followed them correctly. Keep in mind, file conflicts are rare but possible if you have previously modified game files.
Note: Importantly, adding custom portraits to “Rogue Trader” does not affect your game achievements, so you can customize freely without worrying about impacting your game progress.
Finding Custom Portraits
- Pinterest: A good source for finding various portraits. However, be prepared to sift through a significant amount of AI-generated art to find something suitable.
- Nexusmods: Keep an eye on Nexusmods and similar modding communities. It’s anticipated that collections of custom portraits will be added to these platforms, providing a diverse range of options.
- Portramatic Mod: Originally used for “Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous,” the Portramatic mod allows you to create custom portraits. These can then be transferred to “Rogue Trader” by copying the portrait folder from Pathfinder to Rogue Trader. This method has been tested and proven effective.
- AI Tools: Utilizing AI tools like Bing’s AI portrait generator can yield excellent results. By refining the parameters, you can generate custom portraits tailored to your specific requirements, such as a naval officer character.