Talos Principle launched in 2014 and it was an incredible game with though thought-provoking narrative. Talos Principle 2 launched almost a decade after that first game’s launch, it expands upon the first game and moves things along in the narrative. However, PC users are unable to play the game as they are experiencing crashes at startup or DX12 Not Supported error. In this Talos Principle 2 guide, I will list fixes that will help PC users resolve the “DirectX 12 is not supported” error.
The Talos Principle 2 DX12 Not Supported Fixes You Can Try
The Talos PRinciple 2 is one of the many games running on the Unreal Engine 5. UE5 is still in its infancy, at the time of writing, and almost every game running of the engine is experiencing similar errors. Like The Talos Principle 2, many other games running on Unreal Engine 5 are experiencing the DX12 Not Supported error with the following error message.
DirectX 12 is not supported on your system. Try running without the -dx12 or -d3d12 command line argument.
The are multiple reasons why you are experiencing the DX12 not supported error and the main one is the outdated Windows OS. The following are the fixes that will help The Talos Principle 2 PC players resolve the “DirectX 12 is not supported on your system” error.
As I mentioned above, the main reason for the “DirectX 12 is not supported on your system” error is the outdated Windows operating system. According to the devs, you need at least Windows 10 Build 1909 because older Windows 10 versions lack some DX12 features required by the game. So Update your Windows operating system, launch The Talos Principle 2, and DirectX 12 not supported error is now fixed.
Use -d3d12 Command Line Argument
Using -d3d12 Launch option or Command Line Argument has worked for some PC users to fix the DirectX 12 not supported error with The Talos Principle 2.
- Right-click The Talos Principle in the Steam library
- Go to Properties > General
- type -d3d12 under Launch Options and close the window
- Play The Talos Principle 2 and it’ll launch without the DX12 not supported error
YOu might be missing some DirectX files or you haven’t updated the Directx 12 to the version that The Talos Princile 2 requires, which is why it’s crashing with the “DirectX 12 not supported error”. Update DirectX and the DX12 not supported error will be fixed.
- Open Steam library
- Type ‘Steamworks’ in the search bar
- Right-click “Steamworks Common Redistributables” > Manage > Browse local files
- A new Explorer window will open
- Go to _CommonRedist > DirectX > Jun2010
- Run the DXSETUP and follow the onscreen prompts to install DirectX
- Play The Talos Princile 2 and the DX12 not supported error is now fixed
Delete DirectX Shader Cache
DirectX creates a shader cache for efficient use, the cache itself might be damaged or corrupt which is crashing The Talos Principle 2 with the “DirectX 12 is not supported” error. Delete the DirectX shader cache and when you launch the game again, a new cache will be generated and the DX12 not supported error will be fixed.
- Open Disk Cleanup utility
- Select C drive
- check “DirectX shader Cache” and press OK
- The cache will be deleted
- Launch The Talos Principle 2 and a new Shader Cache will be created and the error will be fixed
That is all for our The Talos Principle 2 fixes for the DirectX 12 not supported error. If you are facing errors and issues with other PC games or your PC then also see our hub for commonly occurring PC errors and their fixes.