Suicide Squad is the latest game from Rocksteady and runs on the Unreal Engine 4. The lead-up to the game’s release was not great as it faced backlash for its dull and repetitive combat. However, the game sits at Very Positive on Steam, at the time of writing, despite a lukewarm reception from critics. Aside from the game’s quality, PC users are experiencing errors and issues with Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League like the “Out of video memory” error. In this Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League guide, I have listed fixes that’ll help you resolve the Out of video memory error.
Suicide Squad Out of Video Memory Error Fixes You Can Try
Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League players are unable to play the game due to the “Out of video Memory” error with the following error message.
Some PC users are experiencing the error when the game is compiling shaders when it’s first launched, while others are experiencing the error when the game randomly crashes to the desktop and shows the out of video memory error. There are multiple reasons for this particular error. The following are the fixes that’ll help you fix Suicide Squad’s Out of Video Memory error.
Enable Sysmem Fallback Policy
As I mentioned before, Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League runs on Unreal Engine 4, and the “out of video memory” error often pops up for games using the Unreal Engine. Nvidia has included “Sysmem Fallback Policy” in recent driver updates to fix this error. Enable the “Sysmem Fallback Policy” and the out of video memory error will be fixed.
- Open The Nvidia Control Panel
- Go to manage 3D Settings > Program Settings
- Select “Suicide Squad” from the list
- Scroll down to “CUDA – Sysmem Fallback Policy”
- Select “Prefer Sysmem Fallback” and apply
- Play Suicide Squad and you won’t see the “Out Of Video Memory” error again
Reduce Performance Core Ratio
If you are experiencing the “Out of video memory” error when Suicide Squad is compiling shaders, it’s due to your CPU. The game has an issue with Intel’s 13 and 14-gen CPUs, especially the high-end ones, like 13900k and 14900k, that causes Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League to crash while compiling shaders with the “Out of video memory” error. You can fix the error by reducing the Performance Core ratio to 53 or 54 and restoring it once the shaders have been compiled.
Download Intel’s Extreme Tuning Utility and turn the Performance Core ratio down to 53 or 54. PC users report that lowering the Performance Core ratio fixed the error.
If you don’t want to lower the Performance Core ratio, you can underclock your CPU temporarily by enabling the Power Saver mode to fix Suicide Squad’s “Out of video memory” error.
- Open Windows Settings
- Go to System > Power
- Select “Best Power Efficiency” For Power Mode
- Play Suicide Squad and “Out of video memory” error is fixed
Increase Virtual Memory
Virtual Memory or Paging file is an important Windows feature that allows games and applications to use your SSD or HDD when they run out of memory. The default Virtual memory size set by the Windows isn’t enough and this is why Suicide Squad is crashing with the game out of video memory error. Set custom Virtual Memory to fix the error.
- Open Windows Settings go to About > Advanced system settings
- Click “Settings” under the Advanced tab
- Click “Change” under Virtual Memory
- Uncheck “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives”
- Select a drive that has available space
- Check “Custom Size”, and input the Initial size and Maximum size in MBs
- Press OK and restart your PC
Note: You have to set the Initial size and Maximum size values yourself depending on your RAM size. Virtual memory values must be between 1.5x or 3x of your installed RAM size. If you have 2GB of RAM, you can set a maximum of 6,144 MB. Calculate your value in MB and input it in both Initial size and Maximum size.
Set Thread Limits
As I mentioned before, Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League has an issue with high-end Intel 13 and 14-gen CPUs, like 13900k and 14900k, which causes it to crash with the “Out of video memory” error while compiling shaders. You can limit threads the game can use to fi the error and remove the limitations once the shaders have been compiled.
- Launch Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League and minimize it
- Open Task manager
- Go to the Details tab and locate the Suicide Squad process
- Right-click it and select “Set Affinity”
- Uncheck CPU 8-11 and press OK
- Play Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League and it won’t crash
Delete DirectX Shader Cache
The DirectX shader cache on your Windows PC is either corrupt or is having compatibility issues with Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League, which is the reason the game is crashing with the Out of Video memory error. Delete the DirectX shader cache and a new one will be created the next time you launch the game, and the error will be fixed.
- Open Windows Settings
- Go to System > Storage > Temporary Files
- Select DirectX Shader Cache and click “Remove Files”
Increase Shader Cache Size
Unreal Engine relies heavily on shaders for its visuals and performance. The default shader cache size set by the GPU driver isn’t enough for Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League and it causes the game to crash with the “out of video memory” error while compiling shaders. Increase the shader cache size to fix the error.
- Open the Nvidia Control Panel
- Go to Manage 3D Settings > Global Settings
- Scroll down to Shader Cache
- Select 10 GB and apply the changes.
Install or Repair Visual C++ Components
Visual C++ Redistributables are required to run games on Windows PCs. The reason for Suicide Squad’s out of video memory error is missing or corrupt Visual C++ components. Install or repair the Visual C++ components to fix the “Out of Video Memory” error.
- Open the Steam library and type ‘Steamworks’ in the search bar
- Right-click “Steamworks Common Redistributables” > Manage > Browse local files
- A new Explorer window will open
- Go to _CommonRedist\vcredist
- There are folders with names in years starting from 2010
- Open each folder and run the VC_redis, both x64 and x86 versions
- Install or repair Visual C++ Redistributables and restart your PC
Enable Debug Mode
Graphics cards from third-party AIB partners like GIGABYTE or Zotac have higher GPU and Memory clocks compared to Nvidia reference models or are factory overclocked. This is causing Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League to crash with the “out of video memory” error. Enable the Debug mode to force the GPU to use Nvidia’s recommended clocks and the error will be fixed. Open the Nvidia Control Panel > Help > Debug Mode.
That is all for our Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League fixes for the Out of Video Memory error. If you are facing errors and issues with other PC games or your PC, then also see our hub for commonly occurring PC errors and their fixes.