Starfield offers players a plethora of activities, from exploring planets to engaging in intense combat. While the game’s combat mechanics are diverse and intricate, one fundamental aspect players often inquire about is the ability to block and dodge attacks. Here’s a comprehensive guide on how to effectively block and dodge attacks in Starfield and why it’s crucial for your survival.
The Basics Of Blocking and Dodging
In Starfield, both blocking and dodging are integral parts of the combat system, allowing players to defend themselves against incoming threats. However, the mechanics for each differ slightly:
- Blocking with Melee Weapons:
- Starfield allows players to block attacks, but there’s a catch: you can only block when equipped with a melee weapon.
- To block an incoming attack, hold down the left trigger on Xbox or Right Click on PC. This action uses your melee weapon to reduce the damage from the attack.
- Effective blocking can also throw enemies off balance, especially if your character’s poise is high. This can give you a strategic advantage, allowing you to counter-attack or create distance between you and the enemy.
- Dodging Attacks:
- Unlike traditional games where dodging might involve a specific button for a roll or sidestep, Starfield introduces a unique dodging mechanism using boost packs.
- Boost packs add a layer of verticality to combat, enabling players to soar above or around most enemy attacks.
- To dodge using a boost pack, press the jump button and then activate the boost while in mid-air. This action propels your character, allowing you to evade incoming attacks swiftly.
- Additionally, players can unlock a combat slide ability through the gymnastics skill under the Physical Skills tree. While this slide is useful for maneuvering around the battlefield, it’s not always the most reliable method for avoiding damage. Therefore, it’s essential to use this skill judiciously.
Why Blocking is Essential
Blocking and dodging are not just about avoiding damage; they play a pivotal role in Starfield’s combat strategy. Here’s why:
- Survival: In Starfield, enemies can quickly overwhelm players, especially during close-quarter combat scenarios. Effective blocking and dodging can mean the difference between life and death.
- Strategic Advantage: Successfully blocking an enemy’s attack can throw them off balance, providing players with an opportunity to counter-attack or reposition themselves for a better vantage point.
- Character Build Flexibility: For players focusing on a melee-centric character build, mastering the art of blocking and dodging is paramount. However, if close combat isn’t your style, you might opt for a long-range-centered build. Regardless of your choice, understanding the game’s defensive mechanics will undoubtedly enhance your Starfield experience.