Ghostrunner 2 is one of the better games released in 2023. it’s a fast-paced action platformer that requires precise and quick movements. There is no doubt about the game’s quality, however, a lot of PC users are unable to play the game due to errors and issues like UE4 Fatal Errors or Crashes. On top of that, PC users are also experiencing the Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION 0x0000000d0000000c error when they launch the game. In this Ghostrunner 2 guide, I will list fixes that’ll help PC users fix the Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION error.
Ghostrunner 2 Unhandled Exception Error Fixes That’ll Help
Ghostrunner 2 runs on the Unreal Engine 4, like its predecessor, and takes full advantage of the game engine. Not only that, the game supports both DirectX 11 and DirectX 12, which is becoming rare as most games these days only use DX12.
There is no doubt that Ghostrunner 2 is an optimized game across all platforms. However, PC users are experiencing the Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION error when they launch the game. There are multiple reasons why you are experiencing the Unhandled Exception error like DirectX 12, damaged or corrupt DirectXshader cache, and more. The following are the fixes that’ll help PC users fix the Unhandled Exception error.
Ghostrunner 2 supports both DirectX 11 and 12 APIs, which allows PC users even with old GPUs can run the game. However, if you are using DirectX 12, it’s the reason why Ghostrunner 2 is crashing at startup with the Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION 0x0000000d0000000c error. Switch to DirectX 11 and the error will be fixed.
Note: Switching to DirectX 11 will lock you out of using certain features like DLSS as you only be able to use these settings when you run Ghostrunner 2 with DirectX 12.
- Right-click Ghostrunner 2 in your Steam library
- Select Properties
- type -d3d11 under Launch Options and press Ok
- Launch Ghostrunner 2, and it’ll run using DX11
Delete DirectX Shader Cache
DirectX API is required to run almost every game on PC and it creates a shader cache for games that use it to render and increase performance. The shader cache is damaged or is having problems with Ghostrunner 2 which is why the game is crashing with the Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION error. Deleting the shader cache will fix the error and don’t worry, it won’t affect the game’s performance, as a new Shader cache will be created when you launch the game next time.
- Open Windows Settings
- Go to System > Storage > Temporary Files
- Check “DirectX Shader Cache” and click “Remove Files”
- Launch Ghostrunner 2, a new DirectX cache will be created, and the Unhandled Exception is fixed
Repair System Files
Another reason for Ghostrunner 2 to crash with the Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION error is corrupt or missing system files. Windows has a built-in tool called SFC that scans and repairs system files. Run the SFC scan and it’ll fix/download any corrupt or missing system file and the Unhandled Exception error will be fixed.
- Open CMD (Command Prompt) and run it as an administrator
- type sfc /scannow and press enter
- let the scan complete and it’ll download and replace any corrupt or damaged system files
- Play Ghostrunner 2 and the Unhandled exception error is now fixed
Third-party peripherals like game controllers, HOTAS, VR headsets, and more are another reason for the Ghostruner 2’s Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION crash. The driver or the software for the peripheral is clashing or interfering with the game which results in Ghostrunner 2 crashing with the Unhandled exception error. Remove all unnecessary peripherals and the error will be fixed.
Install/Repiar Visual C++ Redistributables
Visual C++ Redistributables are required to run any game on PC and the reason why Ghsotrunner 2 is crashing with the Unhandled Exception error is that you haven’t installed the required Visual C++ Redistributables or an important file is damaged or corrupt. Installing or repairing the Visual C++ Redistributables will fix the Ghostruner 2’s Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION error.
- Open the Steam library and type ‘Steamworks’ in the search bar
- Right-click “Steamworks Common Redistributables” > Manage > Browse local files
- A new Explorer window will open
- Go to _CommonRedist\vcredist
- There are folders with names in years starting from 2010
- Open each folder and run the VC_redis, both x64 and x86 versions
- Install or repair Visual C++ Redistributables and restart your PC
- Play Ghostrunner 2 and the game won’t crash at launch
That is all for our Ghostrunner 2 fixes for the Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION 0x0000000d0000000c error. If you are facing errors and issues with other PC games or your PC, then also see our hub for commonly occurring PC errors and their fixes.