If you’re playing Final Fantasy 16, chances are you’ve encountered the formidable Morbol boss. Known for its powerful attacks and poisonous breath. But fear not, as we’ve compiled a comprehensive guide to help you beat Morbol in FF 16.
Before facing off against Morbol, it’s crucial to make sure you have the necessary abilities and equipment to give you an edge in combat. By this point in the game, your protagonist Clive should have enough ability points to unlock several powerful abilities. Focus on unlocking Lunge, Burning Blade, and Charged Magic. Lunge allows you to quickly close the distance between you and Morbol, while Burning Blade and Charged Magic provide powerful offensive options.
Additionally, you’ll be accompanied by Tyler and Wade, your father’s loyal followers, who will serve as companion healers during the battle. Their support will be invaluable, especially when it comes to countering Morbol’s poisonous attacks.
Morbol’s Attacks and How to Counter Them
Morbol possesses a variety of powerful attacks that can quickly deplete your health if not properly countered. Here’s a complete rundown of Morbol’s attacks and tips on how to counter them:
Morbol Boss Fight Phase 1
In the first phase of the battle, Morbol will use a combination of melee and ranged attacks. It’s important to be prepared for both scenarios. Here are the key moves to watch out for during this phase:
- Striking Arms: Morbol will swing its body or attempt to bite if you get too close. Dodge these attacks to create an opportunity for counterattacks.
- Black Venom: The boss will spew black venom at Clive from a distance. Avoid making contact with the venom and move away from the affected area.
- Bad Breath: Morbol’s signature move, Bad Breath, releases a toxic gas that can inflict poison. Quickly move to the back of the enemy when the warning appears to safely deal damage.
- Cinematic Strike: After dealing some damage, Morbol will dive into the water and emerge with an open mouth, ready to suck Clive in. Execute the Cinematic Strike by pressing the designated button prompt, which will stagger the boss and allow you to unleash powerful abilities and combos.
Morbol Boss Fight Phase 2
Once Morbol enters its second phase, it will become more aggressive and introduce new moves into its repertoire. Stay alert and adapt your strategy accordingly:
- AoE Attack: Morbol will emit poisonous fumes in an area-of-effect attack. Maintain distance to avoid the fumes and any pools of water that may bubble up.
- Wild Rage: The boss will flail continuously in a specific direction. Evade to avoid being hit by its tentacles.
- Leap and Crash: Morbol will leap into the air and come crashing down. Use well-timed dodges and Phoenix Shift to quickly close the distance.
- Cinematic Evasion: During this phase, you’ll have the opportunity to use Cinematic Evasion to dodge an incoming attack. Press the designated button within the time limit to evade harm.
Additional Morbol Boss Fight Tips
Now that you’re familiar with Morbol’s moveset, let’s delve into the strategies and techniques that will help you defeat this formidable boss.
- Timing is Key: Morbol’s attacks are designed to exploit close-range combat, so it’s crucial to choose your attack windows wisely. Combine Precision Dodge with Lunge to quickly close the distance after evading its attacks and strike when it’s vulnerable.
- Utilize Elemental Advantage: Morbol is vulnerable to Fire attacks. Make use of Charged Magic to unleash powerful Fira spells, dealing significant damage even from a distance.
- Maximize Damage Output: Focus on delivering a charged Burning Blade right after using Lunge to maximize your damage output. Follow up with continuous Fira spells until you can close the distance again.
- Stay Aware of Poison: Morbol’s Bad Breath can inflict poison, draining your health over time. Keep an eye on your health bar and utilize the healing abilities of Tyler and Wade to counteract the poison’s effects.
- Equip the Ring of Timely Evasion: If you’re having trouble timing your dodges, consider equipping the Ring of Timely Evasion. This accessory provides guidance on when to dodge each attack, enhancing your defensive capabilities.
- Take Advantage of Staggered Moments: When Morbol is staggered, seize the opportunity to unleash powerful abilities and combos. Use Blessing of the Phoenix abilities to deal additional damage and chip away at the boss’ health.
Once you’ve successfully defeated Morbol, you’ll be rewarded with 50 experience points (XP) and 70 Ability Points (AP). These rewards can be used to enhance Clive’s abilities and progression in the game. Invest in your AP to unlock new skills.