The happiness of your citizens is very important in Cities: Skylines 2 since it affects the growth of your city and allows you to charge more taxes from people. Happy citizens also means that you have a higher chance of buildings leveling up. In this Cities: Skylines 2 guide, I go over how you can increase the happiness of your citizens.
How To Increase Citizen Happiness Level In Cities: Skylines 2
Citizen Happiness in Cities: Skylines 2 is divided into:
- Residential Happiness
- Commercial Happiness
- Office Happiness
- Industrial Happiness
Residential Happiness Tips
- Provide the essentials: You will need to provide essentials such as water, power safety, education, and employment. Make sure you have hospitals, power generation, sewage removal, etc.
- Avoid pollution: Residents do not like pollution and will complain about it. Make sure that wind does not blow air pollution from your industrial zones to your residential zones.
- Policies: Pet ban and smoking ban policies might seem to reduce the levels of happiness in your residential areas, but in certain situations, they can increase happiness and boost health or reduce waste.
Commercial Happiness Tips
- Meet commercial needs: Commercial zones need an educated workforce, goods to sell, taxes, and services. You need to make sure that goods and people can reach these zones in order to keep business booming.
- Provide transportation: Goods need to move around the city, and so do people. Make sure that you have roads and transportation so that goods can reach places and people can go shopping. Freight train stations and harbors will enable materials to come into commercial zones and move goods around the city.
- Lower taxes: Lowering taxes can increase commercial happiness and allow small businesses to grow faster.
- Business policies: Business policies such as Small Business Enthusiast and Big Business Benefactor might not impact happiness directly, but they do affect happiness by increasing traffic and supply deliveries.
Office Happiness Tips
- Educated employees: Offices need employees with more education than commercial or industrial zones.
- Reduced taxes: Like other zones,, offices gain happiness if you reduce taxes
Industrial Happiness Tips
- Raw material and other essentials: Since industries convert raw materials into finished goods, you want to provide them with frequent shipments. They also require a place to sell goods, educated employees, and services. Supply all of these, and you should have a happy industrial zone.
- Have multiple smaller industries: Having one large industrial area can lead to traffic jams and people not being able to make it there. Smaller groups of industries around the map connected to commercial zones and highways are a better way of doing things.
- Reduce taxes: Reducing taxes makes the industry happy. Just like other levels of happiness in Cities: Skylines 2.
- Industrial policies: Policies such as the Industrial Space Planning policy do not affect happiness directly, but they can increase happiness by increasing the amount of exports.
This is how you can increase happiness in commercial, residential, industrial, and office zones. If you are interested in learning more about the game, then you can check out our beginner’s guide for tips and tricks. You can also check out our guide on enabling autosaves.