Blizzard is in hot waters right now and a major chunk of the worldwide gaming community is planning to boycott Blizzard, at least that’s what people are saying. Of course, such boycotts don’t last long but still, for those who are serious about quitting Blizzard, we have a great article today. Leaving behind games you love if tough and Blizzard games are extra hard to get out of. World of Warcraft, Hearthstone, Overwatch, Starcraft 1 and 2, and others are loved by millions around the world.
But as I said, if you are serious about quitting Blizzard Entertainment’s games, we have great alternatives for each title. Blizzard games are special but not unique. There are many games that do what Blizzard titles deliver and in some cases, others do it better. In our article today we will share with you a list of what we think are the best alternatives to all of the major Blizzard games.
Best Alternatives for Blizzard Games
Blizzard games come in various shapes and forms, different genres, different gameplay designs. And apart from its own developed games, Blizzard.net now offers Call of Duty Modern Warfare. Thankfully, Destiny is out of the picture so we don’t have to look for alternatives. We’ll start with one of the best hero shooters in the world, Overwatch, and see what alternatives we have.
Alternatives for Overwatch
Overwatch is a genre-defining game and millions play it each month. However, as I said, Blizzard games are special, not unique; and the same is the case with Overwatch. Here are some great alternatives to Overwatch.
- Paladins – If you are looking for something similar to Overwatch, there is nothing that gets closer than Paladins. Both titles offer a first-person shooter experience combined with MOBA elements. Both games are hero shooters but there are differences that set each game apart. Paladins feature a card system that allows customization of each character. Moreover, Paladins maps are bigger than Overwatch which means you’ll be fighting in larger sections. Paladins is also more tactical and slower compared to Overwatch
- Team Fortress 2 – How long has this game been around? Well, for a long time. Team Fortress 2 is the pioneer of Hero multiplayer shooters. Overwatch and Team Fortress 2 are quite similar in terms of gameplay style and even some heroes available. Each character is different and gameplay revolves around coordinated team play and positional strategy.
- Unreal Tournament – Other than the fact this is also a shooter there aren’t many similarities between the two. But it is still one of the most fun games you can play. It might be an unpopular opinion but, I feel you can enjoy this one more than Overwatch. The Unreal Tournament is an arena shooter that features some classic game modes such as Capture the Flag, Dominations, Team Deathmatch, Last Man Standing, and Assualt.
Alternatives for World of Warcraft
Well, this is a major game on our list. One of the biggest and oldest MMORPGs in the world, World of Warcraft. Leaving this one behind will be a tough move. Thankfully, there are some great alternatives for World of Warcraft.
- Black Desert Online – After gaining popularity in Korea, Black Desert Online released worldwide and didn’t disappoint. Black Desert in-depth property management system and snappy combat mechanics that’ll keep you engaged. You can partake in a ton of side quests and main story missions to develop relationships with various factions, acquire your own buildings, and much more. You can take control of entire cities in this MMORPG game.
- Dragon Age Inquisition – When demons overrun the world, it is your job to handle the situation. It is a great RPG to play with a deep storyline, in-depth RPG mechanics, side quests, dungeons, and building a stronger character. The online co-op feature makes things much more fun.
- Neverwinter – If you love Dungeons and Dragons, you are going to fall in love with Neverwinter. Choose from a list of races and embark on an epic journey of explorations, magic, adventure, in the world of Neverwinter. The game is available on console and PC but if you are a console player, this is the closest you can get to having WoW on consoles.
- Final Fantasy XIV – This is one of those games that redeemed itself after indulging in mediocrity for a long time. However, in recent months, Final Fantasy XIV made drastic changes and pulled itself out of the rut it was in. The game offers all the hallmarks of Final Fantasy such as airships, chocobos, moogles, and more. The MMORPG features a persistent world in which players can freely interact with each other in the open world. Its battle and party system are pretty similar to World of Warcraft. You can use physical attacks, weapon skills, and magical attacks; engage in boss battles, complete quests, and more.
Alternatives for Starcraft
If you are dropping Starcraft for a new RTS game, there a ton you can try and the good news is, the majority of them are pretty good; some even top Starcraft.
- Sid Meier’s Civilization VI – What can we say about Civ6 that an RTS fan doesn’t already know? The popular strategy franchise puts you in charge of your own Civilization and from there it is your job to build a nation, trade, maintain your economy, and even go to war with other civilizations.
- Company of Heroes 2 – This one is a bit different from other RTS games due to its setting and somewhat different gameplay mechanics. However, it is a perfect blend of RTS and modern features that create a great strategy game set in World War II. Take charge of the Soviet Red Army, build your base, units, and grow your army to battle enemy forces.
- Halo Wars 2 – Microsoft turned Halo into an RTS game a while ago. The spin-off RTS game surprised everyone and deserved a sequel. Hence, we had Halo Wars 2 for Xbox One and PC. If you are an RTS fan, definitely check out Halo Wars 2 where you can command entire armies to battle. It ha many Starcraft like elements so you’ll feel right at home.
- Age of Empires: Definitive Edition – The definitive edition comes with all of the classic game’s content plus modernized gameplay, updated visuals, and other new features. There is 40 hours of updated campaign content, new PvP modes, and support for 4K visuals.
Alternatives for Diablo 3
While it was great to be excited for Diablo 4, we are ditching Blizzard so no Diablo 4 for us. What there are multiple great alternatives for Diablo 3.
- Path of Exile – SImilar to Diablo 3, Path of Exile is an online action RPG with a pretty dark setting. The title is top-down and has PvP, online economy, and character customization. We also have different classes such as Templar, Witch, and Marauder, all characters have various abilities and skills obtained via items. Apart from PvP we have dungeons and a whole lot of quests you can complete.
- Lost Ark Online – It is a 3D MMORPG which is about facing a demon army. The game features an immersive action-centric gameplay design with a non-targeting combat system, dynamic quarter-view angle.
- Torchlight 2 – If you love to grind your way to the top, Torchlight 2 is for you. It is an amazing dungeon crawler for fans of Diablo games.
Alternatives for Hearthstone
Well, Hearthstone is the game that began the controversy Blizzard is facing right now. The eSports player that supported Honk Kong during a live post-match interview is a pro-Hearthstone player.
There are many alternatives to Hearthstone but you only need to know about one, Magic: The Gathering. If you are a fact of card games, this one is for you.
Alternatives for Heroes of the Storm
It is incredibly easy to find great alternatives for Heroes of the Storm. There many big ones you can play in.
- League of Legends – A MOBA like no other, League of Legends needs no introduction and is a great alternative to Heroes of the Storm.
- DOTA 2 – Valve’s MOBA game beats Heroes of the Storm in every department. If you don’t end up liking League of Legends, DOTA 2 could be your game.
- SMITE – This is the only third-person MOBA game around right now. Amazing gameplay, interesting characters, and an all-out fun game to play.
- Awesomenauts – It is hard to understand how but somehow developers were able to create a 2D version of League of Legends.
This is it, all the alternatives we think would be perfect for you if you actually quit Blizzard Entertainment’s games.
- Ark Genesis Consumables Guide – Where to Find, Stats - February 28, 2020
- Ark Genesis Best Bases Locations – Details and Coordinates - February 28, 2020
- ARK Genesis Structures Guide - February 28, 2020