The first thing that you are required to do after launching Pokemon: Scarlet and Violet is to choose a Starter Pokemon. Just like earlier entries in the series, you get three Starter Pokemon to choose from: Grass-type Sprigatito, Water-type Quaxly, and Fire-type Fuecoco. It is a good idea to have a clear understanding of the Strengths, Weaknesses, Abilities, Counters, Evolutions, etc. of these Starter Pokemon so that you are able to make an informed decision. In this Pokemon: Scarlet and Violet guide, we have a provided a detailed breakdown of all three Starter Pokemon to help you choose the best one.
It has got high Attack, Speed, but average Special Attack and HP. As for its abilities, these are:
- Protean: It is able to change its type to that of the move that it is about to use.
- Overgrow: While at less HP, it can boost the Grass-type moves.
This one has average Defense but the highest Attack of all three Starters. On top of that, it has also got high HP, Special Attack, and Speed. When it comes to its abilities, it has got:
- Moxie: It can boost the Attack after knocking out a Pokemon.
- Torrent: While at less HP, it can boost the Water-type moves.
Fuecoco has the highest Special Attack of all three Starter Pokemon. It has also got high HP and Defense but lacks in terms of Attack of Speed. As for its abilities, Fuecoco has got these at its disposal:
- Blaze: While at less HP, it can boost the Fire-type moves.
- Unaware: It can completely ignore the stat. change that the opposing Pokemon gets.
Which is the Best Starter Pokemon?
There are no incorrect answers here as you can make a case for any three of the Starter Pokemon. At the end of the day, it all boils down to your personal preferences. There is absolutely nothing wrong with choosing a Starter Pokemon based on how it looks. If you ask us, however, we feel that Fuecoco is slightly better than Quaxly and Sprigatito because of reasons detailed:
- Fire-type Pokemon are a little harder to come across in the early game as opposed to Water-type or Grass-type.
- Fuecoco can evolve into Skeledirge (Fire/Ghost) which is absolutely huge.
- It can fare really well against a majority of Gym Leaders in Pokemon SV.
- Unaware is a very good ability for battles.
Hopefully, this helped you choose the Best Starter in Pokemon: Scarlet and Violet. Be sure to see our detailed Pokemon: Scarlet and Violet wiki for more tips and strategies.