In Baldur’s Gate 3, players are often faced with challenges that demand unique solutions. Among the myriad of quests and treasures that await, there lies a particular item that stands out not just for its rarity, but for its magical prowess: Volo’s Ersatz Eye.
This guide goes into the lore and mechanics of this powerful item, offering adventurers insights on how to obtain it, its benefits, and the crucial decisions surrounding its use. Whether you’re a seasoned player or a newcomer to the realms of Baldur’s Gate, this guide aims to illuminate the path to acquiring one of the game’s most intriguing assets.
How to Get Volo’s Ersatz Eye
To get Volo’s Ersatz Eye you need to complete Rescue Volo side quest in Baldur’s Gate 3. Begin by traveling to the Blighted Village. From this location, make your way westward and you will end up in the Goblin Camp. Here, in the campsite, you’ll find Volo. Engage him in conversation. Depending on the dialogue option you select, Volo will be taken to his cell within the Shattered Sanctum.
- To free Volo, you’ll need to head north from the Goblin Camp. Your destination is the Heavy Oak Door. Open it and proceed down the corridor.
- As you navigate the Shattered Sanctum, you’ll be confronted by Warrior Trinzas. You have two options:
- Use your skills in Deception, Detect Thoughts, Illithid Wisdom, or Intimidation to persuade her to let you pass.
- Engage in combat. However, be warned, this is a challenging battle, making the persuasive route more appealing.
- Continue deeper into the Shattered Sanctum. Your journey will bring you face-to-face with Gribbo. Again, you’re presented with a choice:
- Persuade Gribbo to give you the key to Volo’s cell.
- Engage in combat and retrieve the key yourself.
- Once you have the key, locate Volo and ask him to return to your camp.
Obtaining the Ersatz Eye
At your camp, discuss the Mind Flayer parasite with Volo. Intrigued, he’ll begin researching potential solutions. After taking a long rest, seek out Volo. He will now have the Ersatz Eye. He’ll prompt you to select a character to receive the eye. This is a permanent decision, so choose wisely. Once you’ve made your choice, Volo will perform the operation, embedding the Ersatz Eye into the chosen character.
Benefits of Volo’s Ersatz Eye
Volo’s Ersatz Eye isn’t just any ordinary eye; it’s imbued with a magical ability that grants the wearer the power of See Invisibility. This passive feature allows the chosen character to perceive invisible creatures within a 9-meter radius. However, it’s worth noting that these creatures can resist being seen by making successful Dexterity Saving Throws
One of the standout features of Volo’s Ersatz Eye is that it comes with absolutely no drawbacks. It’s a pure benefit, enhancing the chosen character’s perception abilities without any negative side effects.
Can You Transfer Volo’s Ersatz Eye?
Volo’s generosity has its limits. He will provide the Ersatz Eye only once. Once a character has received the eye, it becomes a permanent part of them and cannot be transferred or removed. Given the permanence of this decision, it’s crucial to choose the recipient wisely.
The beauty of Volo’s Ersatz Eye is its versatility. Any member of your party can be the recipient of this magical eye. To do this:
- Take control of the character you believe would benefit most from the Ersatz Eye.
- Engage Volo in conversation about his research.
- Allow him to perform the operation.
Should You Insert Volo’s Ersatz Eye In Baldur’s Gate 3?
Yes, you should insert the eye but the decision to insert Volo’s Ersatz Eye is not one to be taken lightly. While the eye offers undeniable benefits, players must weigh these advantages against potential consequences and the permanence of the decision. Here are some factors to consider:
1. Unique Magical Abilities: Volo’s Ersatz Eye grants the wearer the power of See Invisibility, allowing them to perceive invisible creatures within a 9-meter radius. This can be a game-changer in battles and exploration, providing a tactical edge against elusive foes.
2. No Drawbacks: Unlike some magical items that come with a cost, Volo’s Ersatz Eye has no known drawbacks. It purely enhances the chosen character’s abilities without any negative side effects.
3. Permanence of the Decision: Once the Ersatz Eye is inserted, it becomes a permanent part of the character. It cannot be removed or transferred to another character. This means players must be certain about their choice, as it will impact the rest of their playthrough.
4. Versatility: Any member of the party can receive the Ersatz Eye, making it a versatile asset. Players should consider which character would benefit most from the eye’s abilities, keeping in mind their role in battles and their overall journey.
5. Role-Playing Considerations: For players who immerse themselves in the story and role-playing aspects of Baldur’s Gate 3, the decision might also hinge on character backstories, personalities, and future aspirations. Would your character be willing to undergo such a procedure? How would it align with their personal journey?