A Paladin is one of the best classes that you can use in Baldur’s Gate 3. It has a lot of survivability and with this build you will be able to get constant critical hits, allowing you to deal large amounts of damage. In this Baldur’s Gate 3 guide, we go over the best Paladin build and include recommendations for character creation, skills, and progression.
Best Paladin Build In Baldur’s Gate 3
|Race||Tiefling or Half-Orc|
|Background||Soldier or Noble|
|Subclass||Oath of Vengeance|
|Early Stats||16 Strength, 16 Charisma|
|Starting Spells||Searing Smite |
|Fighting Style||Great Weapon Fighting|
|Mind Flayer Power||Luck of the Far Realms|
Character Creation And Early Build
When it comes to the race we recommend Tiefling or Half-Orc. Tiefling gets two smite spells at level 3 which can be very powerful. Orcs have the self-resurrection ability, relentless endurance, and savage attacks. You cannot go wrong with either of these for a paladin build in Baldur’s Gate 3. For the background, we recommend going with either Noble or Soldier. The soldier is ideal for athletics and intimidation.
Use the Oath of Vengeance subclass which focuses on fear mechanics and dealing damage. As for early stats, we recommend having 16 strength and charisma, 14 points in constitution is going to make the build even more effective. Finally, you should have the Luck of the Far Realms Mind Flayer power which will enable to you land critical hits consistently.
Leveling And Progression
- Level 2: First smite and associated reactions. Choose the great weapon fighting style since you want to use two-handed weapons. For starting spells, you should pick Searing Smite, Thunderous Smite, and Heroism. These will allow you to be ready for fights and give you extra damage while saving you from the fear effect.
- Level 3: unlocks vengeance actions such as Voe of Enmity, which gives you advantage, and Abjure Enemy, which frightens enemies. This will allow you to land hits on enemies and reduce enemy resistance. At level 3, the Tiefling gets its first race smite, Legacy of Avernus: Searing Smite.
- Level 4: At level 4 you get your first Oath charges and some prepared spells. The feats are important here and we recommend going with Great Weapon Master to further increase your great weapon efficiency.
- Level 5: This is where the build really comes together. You will get an extra attack. Allowing you to attack twice in each turn. You also get your branding smite from the class and the race.
- Level 6:At level 6, you get some extra prepared spells and access to the Aura of Protection.
- Level 7: Provides access to Relentless Avenger which provides movement speed on opportunity attacks.
- Level 8: Now you get an additional feat. We recommend going with Ability Improvement and adding some extra points to strength and charisma.
- Level 9: Access to Blinding Smite, which is a very powerful attack that blinds enemies. You also get a couple of strong buffs. We can recommend Warden of Vitality and Crusader’s Mantle.
- Level 10: Unlocks Aura of Courage which is going to help you counter the fear effect.
This is our recommended Paladin build in Baldur’s Gate 3. If you are interested in learning more about the game then you can check out our guide on how you can romance all the characters in the game. For more content, check out our Baldur’s Gate 3 guides hub.