The new Age of Wonders: Planetfall Invasions expansion is out now and with the new DLC you get access tot he new Shakarn faction. In this Age of Wonders: Planetfall Invasions guide, we are going to go over everything that you need to know about the Shakarn faction.
Age of Wonders: Planetfall Invasions Shakarn Faction
Shakarn is a new faction in Age of Wonders: Planetfall Invasions that is reptilian in nature. This faction focuses on covert operations, infiltration and being sneaky. The faction uses sonic and omni weapons. Omni weapons have two damage types, kinetic and thermal. Mods and boosts can be used to increase these capabilities.
The Shakarn faction has some unique traits as well. They are as follows:
- Aquatic Deployment: This tech is automatically available at the start of the game. Units can traverse water tiles on the campaign or battle map easily.
- Epimorphic Regeneration: Units will automatically regenerate a bit of health at the start of your turn.
- Xeno Debilitation: Units have lower resistance to status effects.
- 10% bonus to racial tech research.
- Infiltrate Operations Center action will allow you to steal racial tech trees.
You can make custom commanders like other factions in the game. If you get a Promethean primary then you can use certain most to boost thermal damage when using omni weapons. Some of the perks that you can use are as follows:
- Martial Tradition: Weapon research cost reduction and extra AP when a commander kills a unit in battle.
- Military Detachment: Larger starting army.
- Shakarn Heavy Equipment: Gives you an omni sniper rifle. This does kinetic and thermal damage. Also gives sonic pistol that can fire repeatedly to cause kinetic damage.
- Stubborn: Decrease knowledge a bit. Your commander’s army will have +2 resistance to status effects to nullify the Xeno Debilitation trait.
Early in the game, you will need to choose between Domok Instructors (crit and resistance) or Zardas Instructors (evasion and universal camouflage). These are not only perks but represent two castes in the Shakarn hierarchy and are mutually exclusive in Age of Wonders: Planetfall Invasions.
Your commander and heroes will also get the Call Insider skill, that allows them to summon a unit during combat. These units have melee and ranged attacks.
Early Tech And Mod Selection
The new Shakarn faction in Age of Wonders: Planetfall Invasions focuses on stealing and stealth. So you will need to focus on operations. The following is the military tech that you should use:
- Sonolysis Application: Focused Sonolysis Module increases a unit’s damage with its sonic weapons and allows them to remove armor with each hit. Since sonic weapons can fire repeatedly, you’re looking at armored units getting shredded.
- Weighted Holograms: Boosts the damage of your Infiltrator units (ones that can create a mirror copy of an enemy target) while also allowing them to “holoshift” into mechanical foes.
- Propaganda Propagation: Provide you with two operations. The covert op greatly reduces a target’s diplomatic relations with other races which is ideal for manipulating the AI to go to wars when not needed. The strategic op boosts production at the cost of energy if you have a Propagation Tower.
Moving on to the society tech, you should get Planetfall Procedures and Frontier Facilities. After that, you should go for some extra economy development tech. Do this time to time. The operations branch of the tech tree is going to be the most important. Everything here is going to boost capabilities related to infiltration and espionage. Intelligence Gathering – Infiltrate Operations Center is a major game-changer that you should not ignore.
The covert operation might not be much when used by the other factions but when used by Shkarn, you get to use the racial techs of your target. Other unique features that you should take advantage of are as follows:
- Homeworld Reminiscence Doctrine: +12 food and +4 happiness to cities when they have a river or coastal feature.
- Propagation Towers: Buildings that use holograms and propaganda to increase happiness, boosted by the aforementioned strategic op.
That is all for our Age of Wonders: Planetfall Invasions Shakarn faction guide. If you are interested in learning more about the game then you can check out our Age of Wonders: Planetfall guides hub.